Tags: marriott ogle tarbotton, medieval, river trent, trent bridge, victorian
The current bridge is the third known bridge to cross The Trent at this point. The first bridge was built around 920 and the second one in 1156. This second bridge was constructed from stone and had more than 20 arches and had a chapel to St James at one end. A small section of this medieval bridge has been preserved and is still visible on the south bank
The bridge was damaged by flooding several times and in 1863 the Northern section was washed away. The bridge was repaired, but had by now become so unsafe it was decided to completely replace it.
The Current Bridge
The current Trent Bridge was designed by Nottinghams Borough Engineer, Marriott Ogle Tarbotton. Work started in 1868 and was completed in 1871. There are three arches, each spanning 100ft. Originally Trent Bridge was 40ft wide, but it was widened to 80ft between 1924 and 1926.
For many years, both old and new bridges stood side-by-side and even after the old bridge was demolished, locals would talk about ‘going down the bridges’.
Tags: castle road, city centre, medieval
This Medieval merchant’s oak framed house originally stood on Middle Pavement. In 1969, when the area was cleared to build the Broadmarsh shopping centre, it was dismantled and rebuilt on Castle Road near Nottingham Castle. Unfortunately many other fine buildings in the area were lost.
In 1735 John and James Severn used the building to start a wine importing business. Over the years the building was altered and extended, but only the medieval part was saved.
In 1929 J. Holland Walker said in ‘An itinerary of Nottingham‘:
perhaps the quaintest object in it [Middle Pavement] is the curious little yard which leads off the western side to the rear of Messrs. Severn’s wine and spirit stores, for by some curious freak of chance this has remained almost unaltered for centuries and still presents an ancient inn yard such as must have existed in plenty throughout the town when Nottingham was little more than a country market town.
It is now the Nottingham Lace Centre, showing the history of and selling Nottingham lace
Picture the past has a photograph of Severn’s in its original location.